Mulberry Hill (National Trust of Australia)

Attractions Langwarrin

Description


Hours: Every Sunday from 11am to 4pm (Last admission to the house is 3.30pm).

Phone: 03 9656 9889

Mulberry Hill is a historical house and estate, open on Sundays for guided tours, and available for wedding, function, group tour and education bookings.

Mulberry Hill Entry Fees:

National Trust Members:                      Free
Adult:                                                  $10
Concession/Senior:                             $7
Child:                                                  $4
Family (2 Adults & 2 Children):            $26

Mulberry Hill is closed during July and August each year.

Description

Mulberry Hill is a historical house and estate. It is open on the second Sunday of the month for guided tours and also available for weddings, events, and group tour and education bookings. Mulberry Hill was the home of Sir Daryl (artist) & Lady Joan (author) Lindsay.

Designed by Harold Desbrowe Annear, this magnificent American Colonial style-home was built in 1926 as an extension to a pre-existing 1880s weatherboard cottage.

Sir Daryl Lindsay was Director of the National Gallery of Victoria from 1941 to 1956, and was knighted in 1957 for his services to Australian Art. A member of the famous Lindsay family of artists, he was an accomplished painter and print maker. He also assisted in founding the National Trust of Australia (Victoria) in 1956 and was its first president.

His wife, Lady Joan Lindsay was an artist and writer, best known for her novel, Picnic at Hanging Rock. Her autobiographical novel Time without Clocks is about the Lindsay’s life together at Mulberry Hill and includes commentary about the arts and social history of the time.

The house and its contents, a collection of Australian art, Georgian furniture and glassware and Staffordshire ceramics, was bequeathed to the National Trust by Sir Daryl and Lady Joan Lindsay.

For group or function enquiries, call the Bookings Office on 03 9656 9889 from Monday - Friday.

 

More Nearby

Pure Peninsula Honey

Pure Peninsula Honey

Bee amazed at the full range of bee-related products at the gift shop. They have honey-spiked ice cream, nougat, cider and beer. Honey’s not just good to eat; it’s good for the whole body. Pure Penins...
The Big Goose

The Big Goose

The Big Goose is fast becoming the most popular children's attraction on the Mornington Peninsula situated in Moorooduc only 800m from Peninsula Link. More than just an animal farm, The Big Goose com...

More Like This

cultural heritage
Cruden Farm

Cruden Farm

More than eighty years in the making and the heart of a working farm, the garden at Cruden Farm is a small piece of country set amid dense suburbia. It feels as if it will endure forever. Strong, heal...
Old School House Museum

Old School House Museum

Housed in a building over a hundred years old, this museum teaches education from the past. A period classroom includes information about some past students. Photographs and memorabilia provide an ins...
Comfort Station

Comfort Station

The Comfort Station is thought to have been constructed in c1951-52. Sited on a prominent corner on the Nepean Highway, the Comfort Station was a popular stopping point for motorists travelling to and...
Grimwade Clocktower

Grimwade Clocktower

General Harold William Grimwade CB, CMG, VD (1869-1949) was one of Frankston’s most prominent residents and benefactors. The son of a wealthy wholesaler and parliamentarian Frederick Sheppard Grimwade...
Mechanics Institute

Mechanics Institute

Recently renovated to its former glory, the Mechanics Institute is situated on the corner of Plowman Place and Nepean Highway with sweeping views of Frankston Waterfront. Available for casual hire, t...
Dame Elisabeth Murdoch Statue

Dame Elisabeth Murdoch Statue

A LIFE-size bronze sculpture of Dame Elisabeth Murdoch is located in the foyer of the Frankston Arts Centre.  The statue, commemorating the late philanthropist's contribution to her local commun...
Ballam Park Homestead

Ballam Park Homestead

Ballam Park Homestead is situated just 5 kilometres from the heart of Frankston. The Homestead is an oasis of tranquillity, where the visitor is able to step back in time, back to the days of rustling...
Kananook Creek Walking Trail

Kananook Creek Walking Trail

Rising in the Carrum Swamp and some 12 kilometres long, Kananook Creek has for millennia been an integral feature of the Frankston region. The Boonerwrung people knew it as a reliable source of water ...
Frankston Park Gates

Frankston Park Gates

The Frankston Oval Gates were obtained from the Old Melbourne Gaol that had parts previously demolished. The massive iron gates were erected at the Frankston Oval where gate posts were built by stone ...
Frankston War Memorial

Frankston War Memorial

 The Frankston War Memorial hosted it's first Anzac Day Ceremony on 25 April 2016. Images are available in the photo gallery. The Frankston War Memorial is located in Beauty Park ...

Map & Directions

385 Golf Links Road Langwarrin South Victoria 3911

Directions

Melway Reference page 107 C2.