14°C

Old School House Museum

Frankston Cultural Walk Frankston

Description


Hours: Open during school hours by appointment only

Phone: 1300 322 842

Old School House Museum located at a current school.

Description

Housed in a building over a hundred years old, this museum teaches education from the past. A period classroom includes information about some past students. Photographs and memorabilia provide an insight into the school system of the earlier days. Historical school rolls are also on display.

Mrs. Grace McComb, a Frankston pioneer having settled in the Frankston area in 1852, led residents in petitioning the Government for the grant of allotments 5, 6,7,8,9 and 10 of section 4 of the village of Frankston, Port Phillip Bay, for state school purposes. The application for the 3 acres was made on October 28th, 1873.

The land was gazetted as temporarily reserved for state school purposes on November 11th, 1873. By the end of October, 1874, a timber building large enough to accommodate 6- pupils was completed. Frankston State School opened on November 1st, 1874, with an enrolment of 45 children and Alexander Allan was Head Teacher and Augusta S. Petrie as Work Mistress. A three-roomed residence was attached to the school, possibly the result of the Education Department calling tenders for additions to the school in timber during 1880. By mid-1889, because the school's enrolment had risen to 250, the residence had been converted into a classroom and brick classroom added. Extensive alterations and additions were made to the school between 1913 and 1924 and the names of former pupils who enlisted in World War 1 were inscribed on bronze plates around the War Memorial, which was erected in front of the school.

The school's enrolment continues to increase and by 1923 the Masonic Hall supper room had to be hired. Grade 7 & 8 transferred to the High School when it opened there in 1928. By 1929 enrolments had reached 350. In 1937 three new brick classrooms were erected some distance from the original buildings and these classrooms and the new office, staffrooms and a shelter shed then formed the nucleus of the future school. Increasing enrolments meant overcrowding continued to plague the school during the early 1940s, despite the addition of a forth brick building in 1941.

A two-storied wing comprising six brick classrooms, built in 1945, relieved overcrowded conditions for a time, but Frankston continued to develop rapidly and by 1950 an enrolment of 905 meant overcrowding was again a problem, with halls and shelter sheds being utilizes as classrooms. The Education Department's policy in the 1950s of building new schools away from the business centre relived the situation. In 1959 Frankston was proclaimed a training school for future teachers. A Rural Training School was established in 1962 to train teachers for small country schools. A central library was built and opened by the Hon. L.H.S. Thompson, MLC, on August 1st, 1969. Head teachers who served for long periods at Frankston State Schools include Alexander Allan (1847-77), Thomas S. Robinson (1882-92), William H. Richardson (1907-17), James P. Jennings (1917-28) and William A. Shakespeare (1961-68).

Opening hours |Open during school hours by appointment only

Entry fee | $2.00 per person

victoriancollections.net.au/organisations/frankston-primary-old-school-museum

More on the history can be found here: frankstonps.vic.edu.au/our-school/history


More Nearby

Gateway Shopping Village

Gateway Shopping Village

The Gateway Shopping Centre comprises a Coles supermarket, 40 specialty shops and car parking for 490 cars.
Freshta's

Freshta's

Bringing local delicious food and coffee made with love and passion for breakfast, lunch and dinner with service from our super friendly and caring team.
Langwarrin Flora and Fauna Reserve

Langwarrin Flora and Fauna Reserve

Langwarrin Flora and Fauna Reserve is an island of relatively undisturbed natural bushland surrounded by the suburbs of Frankston and Langwarrin. The park has an important place in military history wi...
Tree of Life

Tree of Life

New Zealand artist Phil Price specialises in kinetic sculptures. Working and living in Lyttleton, Price brings together his knowledge and understanding of engineering into his practice to create elega...
McClelland Sculpture Park + Gallery

McClelland Sculpture Park + Gallery

It is the encounter of art in the natural environment at McClelland that makes it the only place of its kind in Australia. A changing exhibition program focuses on modernist Australian art and contemp...
Mulberry Hill (National Trust of Australia)

Mulberry Hill (National Trust of Australia)

Mulberry Hill is a historical house and estate. It is open on the second Sunday of the month for guided tours and also available for weddings, events, and group tour and education bookings. Mulberry H...
Ducky Brown

Ducky Brown

Their customers' satisfaction is their business. Come in: enjoy their quality coffee, freshly cooked breakfast and their fantastic hospitality.  They are here to serve and to always listen to yo...
Peninsula Link Trail

Peninsula Link Trail

The Peninsula Link shared use path is a significant addition to the Frankston and Mornington Peninsula walking and cycling networks. It is also the single biggest addition to Melbourne's shared use pa...
Cruden Farm

Cruden Farm

More than eighty years in the making and the heart of a working farm, the garden at Cruden Farm is a small piece of country set amid dense suburbia. It feels as if it will endure forever. Strong, heal...
The Gateway Shopping Centre

The Gateway Shopping Centre

The Gateway Shopping Centre is a great place to meet for coffee, entertain the family and have fun with the kids. A customer service centre for Frankston City Council is also available, alongside all...

More Like This

cultural heritage
Frankston War Memorial

Frankston War Memorial

 The Frankston War Memorial hosted it's first Anzac Day Ceremony on 25 April 2016. Images are available in the photo gallery. The Frankston War Memorial is located in Beauty Park ...
Frankston Pier

Frankston Pier

Originally built closer to the base of Oliver's Hill in 1857, the pier was constructed at its current site and extended into deeper waters in 1863, after a public petition.  The Frankston Pier h...
Old School House Museum

Old School House Museum

Housed in a building over a hundred years old, this museum teaches education from the past. A period classroom includes information about some past students. Photographs and memorabilia provide an ins...
Comfort Station

Comfort Station

The Comfort Station is thought to have been constructed in c1951-52. Sited on a prominent corner on the Nepean Highway, the Comfort Station was a popular stopping point for motorists travelling to and...
Mulberry Hill (National Trust of Australia)

Mulberry Hill (National Trust of Australia)

Mulberry Hill is a historical house and estate. It is open on the second Sunday of the month for guided tours and also available for weddings, events, and group tour and education bookings. Mulberry H...
Ballam Park Homestead

Ballam Park Homestead

Ballam Park Homestead is situated just 5 kilometres from the heart of Frankston. The Homestead is an oasis of tranquillity, where the visitor is able to step back in time, back to the days of rustling...
Beauty Park

Beauty Park

Beauty Park links Frankston Waterfront with Frankston's George Pentland Botanic Gardens. It's a beautiful spot for a walk or stroll. Features: Playground with 5.8 metre high climbing net, com...
Frankston Park Gates

Frankston Park Gates

The Frankston Oval Gates were obtained from the Old Melbourne Gaol that had parts previously demolished. The massive iron gates were erected at the Frankston Oval where gate posts were built by stone ...
Cruden Farm

Cruden Farm

More than eighty years in the making and the heart of a working farm, the garden at Cruden Farm is a small piece of country set amid dense suburbia. It feels as if it will endure forever. Strong, heal...
Yamala Mansion

Yamala Mansion

Yamala was one of the earliest mansions built on Oliver’s Hill. It was purchased in 1876 by Sir John Madden (1844-1918) who later became Chief Justice of Victoria, and was appointed Lieutenant Governo...

Map & Directions

40 Davey Street, Frankston