21°C

Mulberry Hill (National Trust of Australia)

Attractions Langwarrin

Description


Hours: Every Sunday from 11am to 4pm (Last admission to the house is 3.30pm).

Mulberry Hill is a historical house and estate, open on Sundays for guided tours, and available for wedding, function, group tour and education bookings.

Mulberry Hill Entry Fees:

National Trust Members:                      Free
Adult:                                                  $10
Concession/Senior:                             $7
Child:                                                  $4
Family (2 Adults & 2 Children):            $26

Mulberry Hill is closed during July and August each year.

Description

Mulberry Hill is a historical house and estate. It is open on the second Sunday of the month for guided tours and also available for weddings, events, and group tour and education bookings. Mulberry Hill was the home of Sir Daryl (artist) & Lady Joan (author) Lindsay.

Designed by Harold Desbrowe Annear, this magnificent American Colonial style-home was built in 1926 as an extension to a pre-existing 1880s weatherboard cottage.

Sir Daryl Lindsay was Director of the National Gallery of Victoria from 1941 to 1956, and was knighted in 1957 for his services to Australian Art. A member of the famous Lindsay family of artists, he was an accomplished painter and print maker. He also assisted in founding the National Trust of Australia (Victoria) in 1956 and was its first president.

His wife, Lady Joan Lindsay was an artist and writer, best known for her novel, Picnic at Hanging Rock. Her autobiographical novel Time without Clocks is about the Lindsay’s life together at Mulberry Hill and includes commentary about the arts and social history of the time.

The house and its contents, a collection of Australian art, Georgian furniture and glassware and Staffordshire ceramics, was bequeathed to the National Trust by Sir Daryl and Lady Joan Lindsay.

For group or function enquiries, call the Bookings Office on 03 9656 9889 from Monday - Friday.

 

More Nearby

That Spirited Lot Distillers

That Spirited Lot Distillers

That Spirited Lot Distillers is a boutique family distillery located in Seaford, Victoria run by brothers Jon-Paul (JP) and Chris (Krill) Willigenburg and their sister-in-law Kate (Kato) Barton. After...
Coffee for the People Roasting Co

Coffee for the People Roasting Co

Cafe and Coffee Roaster Bear & Cub was established and built in May 2016 by Seaford locals, Skye and Joshua, from a desire to create a space that feels like home and brings our community together...
The Black Goose

The Black Goose

LOVE, LAUGHTER & a whole lot of COFFEE is what we're about. Oh, and plenty of fresh meals & treats! Homemade pies, sausage rolls, salads, wraps, carrot cake, brownies and much much more. We ...
Biersal Brewery and Beerhall

Biersal Brewery and Beerhall

As a small local family-owned and operated craft brewery, Biersal Brewery and Beerhall specialise in small batch brewing. The brewery opened in October 2019. The 500L brewhouse and beer vessels are ea...
Keast Park

Keast Park

Keast Park is a lovely beach reserve with ocean views. The pavilion incorporates the Carrum Bowling Club and Crackerjack Waterfront Cafe with magnificent facilities and a multi-purpose community room ...
Beach Cafe

Beach Cafe

A great place to meet family or friends for a breakfast or light lunch with daily specials, scrumptious cakes and cookies and friendly attentive service. Bookings not required. 
Seaford RSL

Seaford RSL

Seaford RSL is located on the banks of the Kananook Creek with magnificent views, the Seaford RSL is a warm and welcoming club. The Kananook Room dining area overlooking the creek offers terrific...
Seaford Coffee Train

Seaford Coffee Train

Your local Cafe serving fresh baguettes, coffee, tea, milkshakes and cakes, with a sandwich bar, roast of the day and more!
Seaford Wetlands Reserve

Seaford Wetlands Reserve

The wetlands are well known for superb bird watching opportunities. There is a viewing platform near Austin Road and a good viewing point at the end of Mona Street. A viewing mound at Seaford North Pr...
Dani’s Wholesome Kitchen

Dani’s Wholesome Kitchen

Dani’s Wholesome Kitchen was founded in 2018, in Seaford. After a lot of research we struggled to find cakes and treats that we could give to our family, that weren't filled with refined sugars, all s...

More Like This

cultural heritage
Ballam Park Homestead

Ballam Park Homestead

Ballam Park Homestead is situated just 5 kilometres from the heart of Frankston. The Homestead is an oasis of tranquillity, where the visitor is able to step back in time, back to the days of rustling...
Beauty Park

Beauty Park

Beauty Park links Frankston Waterfront with Frankston's George Pentland Botanic Gardens. It's a beautiful spot for a walk or stroll. Features: Playground with 5.8 metre high climbing net, com...
Mechanics Institute

Mechanics Institute

Recently renovated to its former glory, the Mechanics Institute is situated on the corner of Plowman Place and Nepean Highway with sweeping views of Frankston Waterfront. Available for casual hire, t...
Frankston Park Gates

Frankston Park Gates

The Frankston Oval Gates were obtained from the Old Melbourne Gaol that had parts previously demolished. The massive iron gates were erected at the Frankston Oval where gate posts were built by stone ...
Round House

Round House

This remarkable house has been a noted feature of the approach to Oliver’s Hill since it was built for the Henty family in 1953. Completely round, it is an elegant example of the architect Roy Grounds...
Peter Corlett - Dame Elisabeth Murdoch Statue

Peter Corlett - Dame Elisabeth Murdoch Statue

A LIFE-size bronze sculpture of Dame Elisabeth Murdoch is located in the foyer of the Frankston Arts Centre.  The statue, commemorating the late philanthropist's contribution to her local commun...
Yamala Mansion

Yamala Mansion

Yamala was one of the earliest mansions built on Oliver’s Hill. It was purchased in 1876 by Sir John Madden (1844-1918) who later became Chief Justice of Victoria, and was appointed Lieutenant Governo...
Grimwade Clocktower

Grimwade Clocktower

General Harold William Grimwade CB, CMG, VD (1869-1949) was one of Frankston’s most prominent residents and benefactors. The son of a wealthy wholesaler and parliamentarian Frederick Sheppard Grimwade...
Mulberry Hill (National Trust of Australia)

Mulberry Hill (National Trust of Australia)

Mulberry Hill is a historical house and estate. It is open on the second Sunday of the month for guided tours and also available for weddings, events, and group tour and education bookings. Mulberry H...
Frankston War Memorial

Frankston War Memorial

 The Frankston War Memorial hosted it's first Anzac Day Ceremony on 25 April 2016. Images are available in the photo gallery. The Frankston War Memorial is located in Beauty Park ...

Map & Directions

385 Golf Links Road Langwarrin South Victoria 3911

Directions

Melway Reference page 107 C2.