29°C

Mulberry Hill (National Trust of Australia)

Attractions Langwarrin

Description


Hours: Every Sunday from 11am to 4pm (Last admission to the house is 3.30pm).

Mulberry Hill is a historical house and estate, open on Sundays for guided tours, and available for wedding, function, group tour and education bookings.

Mulberry Hill Entry Fees:

National Trust Members:                      Free
Adult:                                                  $10
Concession/Senior:                             $7
Child:                                                  $4
Family (2 Adults & 2 Children):            $26

Mulberry Hill is closed during July and August each year.

Description

Mulberry Hill is a historical house and estate. It is open on the second Sunday of the month for guided tours and also available for weddings, events, and group tour and education bookings. Mulberry Hill was the home of Sir Daryl (artist) & Lady Joan (author) Lindsay.

Designed by Harold Desbrowe Annear, this magnificent American Colonial style-home was built in 1926 as an extension to a pre-existing 1880s weatherboard cottage.

Sir Daryl Lindsay was Director of the National Gallery of Victoria from 1941 to 1956, and was knighted in 1957 for his services to Australian Art. A member of the famous Lindsay family of artists, he was an accomplished painter and print maker. He also assisted in founding the National Trust of Australia (Victoria) in 1956 and was its first president.

His wife, Lady Joan Lindsay was an artist and writer, best known for her novel, Picnic at Hanging Rock. Her autobiographical novel Time without Clocks is about the Lindsay’s life together at Mulberry Hill and includes commentary about the arts and social history of the time.

The house and its contents, a collection of Australian art, Georgian furniture and glassware and Staffordshire ceramics, was bequeathed to the National Trust by Sir Daryl and Lady Joan Lindsay.

For group or function enquiries, call the Bookings Office on 03 9656 9889 from Monday - Friday.

 

More Nearby

Sweetwater Creek Reserve

Sweetwater Creek Reserve

Sweetwater Creek is a natural habitat corridor from Frankston Nature Conservation Reserve to Port Phillip Bay. Close to the mouth of the creek lies Sweetwater Creek Nature Reserve, a peaceful oasis tu...
Kananook Creek Association

Kananook Creek Association

Kananook Creek is located some 35 kms south of Melbourne, just a short walk from Port Phillip Bay, Seaford Foreshore Reserve and the internationally protected Seaford Wetlands. Commencing at Carrum, ...
Nightcap at the Cheeky Squire

Nightcap at the Cheeky Squire

Welcome to The Cheeky Squire Hotel, boasting charismatic charm and all-round great value for your next holiday. They are all about quality, value and comfort. Guests love their luxurious rooms, on-sit...
Frankston Theatre Group

Frankston Theatre Group

For more than 70 years, Frankston Theatre Group has provided the opportunity for people to participate in community theatre. They present a broad range of productions of a high quality for the enterta...
Fratelli

Fratelli

At FRATELLI there’s something for everyone.If it’s a coffee to keep you going, a quiet dinner with friends or a family fun day out, you will find just what you need.Serving a wide range of pizzas, pas...
Simon Beuve - Fleur du Bitume

Simon Beuve - Fleur du Bitume

Mural Name: Fleur du Bitume Artist: Simon Beuve Artist Bio: Simon Beuve is a French/Australian artist originally from Normandy. In 2000 he discovered the graffiti movement and moved to Paris t...
Puzle - Upwords

Puzle - Upwords

Mural Name: Upwords Artist: Puzle Artist Bio: Puzle is a graphic visual artist driven by ideas and a different ways of doing things. Having been a part of Melbourne’s complex street art networ...
Gulls Way Precinct

Gulls Way Precinct

Gulls Way is a narrow street forming part of the subdivision of Yamala, the oldest mansion on Oliver’s Hill. In the 1950s, the precinct became the site of an adventurous spate of Modernist architectur...
Vero Pasta + Wine

Vero Pasta + Wine

Vero in Italian means “true” so Chef and owner Andrea Papapostolou is determined to keep it real and use the authentic recipes and combinations of sauce and pasta reflective of regional cooking in Ita...
Cube 37

Cube 37

The Cube 37 Gallery is a high demand community access gallery used by art groups, schools and emerging and professional artists. The Gallery is available for hire in 4 week blocks; however, periods of...

More Like This

cultural heritage
Peter Corlett - Dame Elisabeth Murdoch Statue

Peter Corlett - Dame Elisabeth Murdoch Statue

A LIFE-size bronze sculpture of Dame Elisabeth Murdoch is located in the foyer of the Frankston Arts Centre.  The statue, commemorating the late philanthropist's contribution to her local commun...
Cruden Farm

Cruden Farm

More than eighty years in the making and the heart of a working farm, the garden at Cruden Farm is a small piece of country set amid dense suburbia. It feels as if it will endure forever. Strong, heal...
Kananook Creek Walking Trail

Kananook Creek Walking Trail

Discover the Kananook Creek Walking Trail The Kananook Creek Walking Trail is a hidden gem weaving through one of Frankston’s most picturesque natural environments. Stretching 7.5 kilometres from Fra...
Yamala Mansion

Yamala Mansion

Yamala was one of the earliest mansions built on Oliver’s Hill. It was purchased in 1876 by Sir John Madden (1844-1918) who later became Chief Justice of Victoria, and was appointed Lieutenant Governo...
Beauty Park

Beauty Park

Beauty Park links Frankston Waterfront with Frankston's George Pentland Botanic Gardens. It's a beautiful spot for a walk or stroll. Features: Playground with 5.8 metre high climbing net, com...
Old School House Museum

Old School House Museum

Housed in a building over a hundred years old, this museum teaches education from the past. A period classroom includes information about some past students. Photographs and memorabilia provide an ins...
Frankston Pier

Frankston Pier

Originally built closer to the base of Oliver's Hill in 1857, the pier was constructed at its current site and extended into deeper waters in 1863, after a public petition.  The Frankston Pier h...
Mechanics Institute

Mechanics Institute

Recently renovated to its former glory, the Mechanics Institute is situated on the corner of Plowman Place and Nepean Highway with sweeping views of Frankston Waterfront. Available for casual hire, t...
Round House

Round House

This remarkable house has been a noted feature of the approach to Oliver’s Hill since it was built for the Henty family in 1953. Completely round, it is an elegant example of the architect Roy Grounds...
Frankston Park Gates

Frankston Park Gates

The Frankston Oval Gates were obtained from the Old Melbourne Gaol that had parts previously demolished. The massive iron gates were erected at the Frankston Oval where gate posts were built by stone ...

Map & Directions

385 Golf Links Road Langwarrin South Victoria 3911

Directions

Melway Reference page 107 C2.